Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never Forget!

+6
Goldie
Sai
KEKOLD
Jec
Eri
Jet
10 posters

Naruto Faction Chat Thread #19 [NF: The Last]

KEKOLD
    KEKOLD
    Academy Ninja: Genin Candidate

Naruto Faction Chat Thread #19 [NF: The Last] - Page 2 Empty Re: Naruto Faction Chat Thread #19 [NF: The Last]

Post by KEKOLD Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:35 am

Goldie wrote:

Sup Kek, a few questions before i make a suggestion.

What's your overall budget for your gaming headset/headphone rig? What's your realistic budget and your "I can't go higher than this" budget?

Are you looking for a headphone only for gaming or are you looking for a headphone that will be good for gaming and for other tasks. Like watching anime, music and movies?

What types of games do you have in mind that you'll be playing with them? Are you looking for something that's primarily good at simulating footsteps in a competitive environment or are you looking for something that will immerse you in the world of your games? Perhaps a cross section of both?

I might have a few followup questions depending on how you answer these first three things.

As for the headphones you linked to the AKG K240 is good for gaming... When it's properly amped, it wouldn't be your best choice to jump right in since you'd need some additional gear to get it to where you want it.

Oh no, I was just making some suggestions on buying cheap headsets.

I already have a set for gaming who's is the Triton Kunai (for all my consoles)

I also have a set I bought from Lenovo to use on my pc. I got those suckers for $8. They sound pretty good.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd009398

The last set I posted (AKG) might be something I get later on which it will be for music only. I don't understand why people end up buying beats for $200 or $300 when my Kunai alone produce a better sound. Not to mention that I have three friends that have purchased Beats only to have them replace within 3 - 6 month periods. One of them had to actually return his set around four times (well three, the first set were a a complete lost since he didn't return them in time)
    Eri
    Eri
    Genin Ninja: Rookie

Naruto Faction Chat Thread #19 [NF: The Last] - Page 2 Empty Re: Naruto Faction Chat Thread #19 [NF: The Last]

Post by Eri Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Location : Lend me the Power to bring about the World Restoration!!!

Post by Jet Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:02 pm

Holy shit my cousin in TJ was shot and killed last week
    Eri
    Eri

Post by Eri Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:25 pm

keep up the conversations guys im interested. i might wanna grab one as well. Im looking for ps4's with sick bundles too.

---

are you being serious jet?
    Goldie
    Goldie
    Genin Ninja: Adept

Post by Goldie Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Jet wrote:Holy shit my cousin in TJ was shot and killed last week

I hope that's just a joke, if not I'm sorry for your loss man. What happened to him? Was he an innocent bystander?
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Why would I joke about that? A family member was visiting and found him dead inside the house. Bullet wounds and his head was hurt according to her. It was in tijuana mexico. I used to go to the neighborhood every saturday until I was 14 since my mom owned property there. We used to live around there until I was about 6, we moved back to the US for me to start 1st grade after my grandfather passed away. I knew it was getting worse since the older generation started to disappear but shit dude. I used to walk around there as a kid with my nephew and it didnt really feel unsafe. But the renovations my mom used to install to some apts there kept being stolen, faucets, pipes etc. Might have been thieves.

Last edited by Jet on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Goldie
    Goldie

Post by Goldie Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Jec wrote:When it comes to headphones, there are two ways to see if they are good or not. There's the objective test which sees the sound range of the headset. Good quality ones will pass all these tests without sound distortion. Then there's the subjective way, just like people who couldn't decide on the color of the dress due to neurological and perceptive reasons, I have reasons to believe sound works the same way.

I will say that many have tried my headphones and liked them a lot. They have good bass, good trebble and they cancel noise nicely. I have seen people spend on headphones twice and three times as much as I did for on par or marginally better performance. The cost/benefit ratio is great.

There's more scientific tests that measures headphone performance.

Frequency response tells you the sonic character of the headphones performance, not necessarily the quality of sound reproduction.

You have spectral decay spectrum tests which roughly measures how long a sound will linger after the initial sound has came to a stop, aka resonance. Unfortunately there is still no agreed upon method to measure said resonance but there are a few ways it's measure. And there still haven't been a speaker, or headphone, that is devoid of sound resonance. If there's too much resonance the intended sound will be "colored" to sound muddled, unintended as it was meant to sound.

Nominal Impedance, sound pressure level and Impedance & phase tests measures how easy or tough is it to get a loud, good sound out of headphone.

Then you have Harmonic distortion tests... Which, well measures distortion! But here's a thread you can read that explains it far better than I ever could. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/4-how-interpret-distortion-plots.html

These are just a few scientific ways to measure headphone performance.

PS: It's impossible to scientifically measure a headphones "soundstage". Why? Because soundstage is what we humans PERCEIVE where a sound is coming from. Though it's absolutely undeniable that different headphones have different qualities of soundstage.
    Goldie
    Goldie

Post by Goldie Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Jet wrote:Why would I joke about that? A family member was visiting and found him dead inside the house. Bullet wounds and his head was hurt according to her. It was in tijuana mexico. I used to go to the neighborhood every saturday until I was 14 since my mom owned property there where we used to live until we moved back tothe US. I knew it was getting worse since the older generation started to disappear but shit dude. I used to walk around there as a kid with my nephew and it didnt really feel unsafe. But the renovations my mom used to install to some apts there kept bei g stolen, faucets, pipes etc. Might have been thieves

I thought it might have been another reference like your uncle winning the lottery. sorry about that man. I in no way intended to make light of the subject at all.

Wow man, I can't believe that. Mexico seems like it's only been taking a nosedive in terms of quality of life of people who live there. I really do hope it can improve somehow, my great grandfather's side of the family was originally from Monterrey.

My condolences to you and your family once again. It's never easily losing a loved one.
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:27 pm

Jet wrote:Why would I joke about that? A family member was visiting and found him dead inside the house. Bullet wounds and his head was hurt according to her. It was in tijuana mexico. I used to go to the neighborhood every saturday until I was 14 since my mom owned property there. We used to live around there until I was about 6, we moved back to the US for me to start 1st grade after my grandfather passed away. I knew it was getting worse since the older generation started to disappear but shit dude. I used to walk around there as a kid with my nephew and it didnt really feel unsafe. But the renovations my mom used to install to some apts there kept being stolen, faucets, pipes etc. Might have been thieves.
    Dude that is seriously fucked, my condolences. It really just is frightening to think how unsafe it is there man. Especially with all the crime going on in Mexico as a whole.
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Thank you for your words! I hadnt seen him for about 8 years now so I wonder what could have gone down. My newphew who lived with the family, is closer to my age moved out when he was 15. I wonder if hes heard of what happened, wherever he is now. Specially since Chava took care of them for the most part.
    Jec
    Jec

Post by Jec Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:07 pm

Goldie wrote:
    Jec wrote:When it comes to headphones, there are two ways to see if they are good or not. There's the objective test which sees the sound range of the headset. Good quality ones will pass all these tests without sound distortion. Then there's the subjective way, just like people who couldn't decide on the color of the dress due to neurological and perceptive reasons, I have reasons to believe sound works the same way.

I will say that many have tried my headphones and liked them a lot. They have good bass, good trebble and they cancel noise nicely. I have seen people spend on headphones twice and three times as much as I did for on par or marginally better performance. The cost/benefit ratio is great.

There's more scientific tests that measures headphone performance.

Frequency response tells you the sonic character of the headphones performance, not necessarily the quality of sound reproduction.

You have spectral decay spectrum tests which roughly measures how long a sound will linger after the initial sound has came to a stop, aka resonance. Unfortunately there is still no agreed upon method to measure said resonance but there are a few ways it's measure.  And there still haven't been a speaker, or headphone, that is devoid of sound resonance. If there's too much resonance the intended sound will be "colored" to sound muddled, unintended as it was meant to sound.

Nominal Impedance, sound pressure level and Impedance & phase tests measures how easy or tough is it to get a loud, good sound out of headphone.

Then you have Harmonic distortion tests... Which, well measures distortion! But here's a thread you can read that explains it far better than I ever could. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/how-articles-provided-our-members/4-how-interpret-distortion-plots.html

These are just a few scientific ways to measure headphone performance.

PS: It's impossible to scientifically measure a headphones "soundstage". Why? Because soundstage is what we humans PERCEIVE where a sound is coming from. Though it's absolutely undeniable that different headphones have different qualities of soundstage.

That's... What I said... Only in fewer words.

I still think people need to take into account price/benefit ratio when comparing different headphones and headsets. Marginal improvement is not worth more than a hundred dollars....

Marshall Headphones, now those are truely worth the price tag.
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:37 pm

your pretentiousness knows no bounds

Anyway Fidelio X2's are supposed to be delivered on Tuesday, I'm excited to give them a shot.
    Anyone looking for a cheap headphone can't go wrong with the Takstar Hi2050's, pretty great soundstage, just not as open as my 595s, but I personally think they have better sound. They seem to have a more fun signature rather than attempting to be neutral in a flat way like the 595s, its neutral but doesn't lose detail or just overall pleasure of listening in doing so. I hear good things about the Superlux 668bs and it exaggerated soundstage but it needs some change of pads to be usable.
    Goldie
    Goldie

Post by Goldie Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Jec wrote:

I still think people need to take into account price/benefit ratio when comparing different headphones and headsets. Marginal improvement is not worth more than a hundred dollars....

What I was saying is that there's much more tests to than just harmonic distortion levels and frequency response when it comes to headphones. But those graphs don't the entire story of how they reproduce sound. Some things are simply immeasurable.

I hear that the Marshall Major headphones are okay, but don't quite stack up to competition in it's price bracket.

When it comes to diminishing returns on headphones, yeah, I agree with you. There is eventually a point where you're paying too much for incremental improvements, and there are times where people pay too much for what they want/need. But my point is, most sub 100 dollar headphones won't sound as good as 200+ dollar headphones with a similar sonic signature. Is it "incrementally better" will ultimately be determined by ones subjective opinion. Even if the overwhelming majority may think the more expensive item is much better.

Sound = subjective. Specially when peoples ears perceive things differently. My own hearing goes below and slightly above the common human hearing spectrum. Regular human hearing is somewhere between 20hz to 20khz. I hear from 16hz to slightly above 20khz.
    Eri
    Eri

Post by Eri Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:15 pm

i thought the same as D. Truly sorry to hear that Jet...i hope all the best for you and your family as they suffer threw such a time. God bless him man. Ill keep him and yall in my prayers.
    Jec
    Jec

Post by Jec Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 am

Sai wrote:your pretentiousness knows no bounds

?
    Jec
    Jec

Post by Jec Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:58 am

Goldie wrote:

Such as? I've compared them to headphones far more expensive. Although the Marshall Major are tuned to rock music. At first I thought they were mediocre until I realized I could remove those annoying filters.
    Jec
    Jec

Post by Jec Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:01 am

Goldie wrote:
    Jec wrote:

What I was saying is that there's much more tests to than just harmonic distortion levels and frequency response when it comes to headphones. But those graphs don't the entire story of how they reproduce sound. Some things are simply immeasurable.

Try here

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Any headphones that pass these tests are well built, and believe me, they don't have to cost more than 200 dollars to pass these tests. But I guess it's up to each if they want to spend so much on marginal differences. The headphone market to me behaves like the RTE cereal market described by Nevo (2001), people are willing to pay high cost margins due to marketing and not significant product differences...
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:47 pm

Jet you interested in wanting to watch a video of a review? I've kind of lost the drive to make it a little. But if you are interested it might motivate me more.
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:01 pm

For sure. Always interested in seeing original content. And Im nowhere close to being an audiophile so I might learn something in the process
    Goldie
    Goldie

Post by Goldie Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Jec wrote:
    Goldie wrote:
    Jec wrote:

Try here

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Any headphones that pass these tests are well built, and believe me, they don't have to cost more than 200 dollars to pass these tests. But I guess it's up to each if they want to spend so much on marginal differences. The headphone market to me behaves like the RTE cereal market described by Nevo (2001), people are willing to pay high cost margins due to marketing and not significant product differences...

I actually use that site to test driver matching, funny that you should link it. Those tests there are some simple tests that you can run to see stuff like the frequency response range of your headphones *usually printed on the headphones box*, bass and treble extension (it's better tested through songs, imo) and the aforementioned driver matching (very important). You don't need to spend 200 dollars to get a headphone that will do well on these tests. Hell, you don't have to spend 50 dollars to find a headphone or earbuds that'll do well on those tests, however it's way more to reproduction than what's tested there.

https://www.goldenears.philips.com/en/challenge.html#

There is a delightful link that highlights the differences in sound reproduction, it's fun to do, and you get a decent idea on how your headphone performs. I quite like this test as it's pretty comprehensive and actually teaches you about differences in sound presentation which I think is really damn cool. Whether you think they're marginal or not is up to the person testing, of course.

But I wasn't championing that people should spend 200 or more on a headphone, and have never made a claim as such. "Marginal differences" is subjective and such a decision will be up to the person actually listening and their intended use of the product. If you're mixing and mastering an EP, LP, field recording or doing post production in audio then you're going to want a particular sort of headphone that will suit those objectives. You can get a headphone that does those things proficiently for under $100 USD. You can also get a pair of headphones that does an amazing job at doing the same thing for $500+ USD.

As for markup on headphones, yeah. I actually agree with you since we're in a period of headphones renaissance where there is markup and the public perception on headphones have changed. Beats, Monster and Bose products for example are both incredibly overvalued products. You can find headphones that are 100 or less that perform better than them and are technically more proficient for listening. There are other companies out there that have been making high quality audio equipment for decades, names like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio-technica, AKG, Shure and Grado that most people don't know exist.

These are the same companies who have making high quality microphones, speakers, intercoms, studio monitors, audio technology software, amplifiers and yes, headphones, for decades before the current cultural climate where the prices were just as expensive current day headphones and in alot of cases even more expensive. Of course, back then those products were marketed and bought by a niche audiophile market back then and now every Jane, Joe and Javier are willing to plunk down money on them because the kardashians are wearing $400 Beats by Dre.

I
    Jec
    Jec

Post by Jec Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:37 pm

nice, I'm currently trying to find decent headphones to replace my electras . They still sound gold but the 'leather' started to tear. Unfortunately down here the options are limited to expensive mainstream garbage so I would need to order them from amazon. Since returning them would be a hassle, I need to make the right choice...
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Jet wrote:For sure. Always interested in seeing original content. And Im nowhere close to being an audiophile so I might learn something in the process
    I'm not really one either lol, but alright I'll send the link to you via PM once I have it uploaded.
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Got the first one uploaded, it turned out to be pretty long, so I have to upload in three parts.
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Pretty sweet getting a tweet response from someone on tv a SECOND right before they come back from commercials
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:52 pm

X2 shipped today, Can't wait to give it a listen on monday.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:59 am