Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Never Forget!

+5
Goldie
Link
Jet
Eri
Sai
9 posters

Anime General Thread: Winter 2015: The Big Freeze

Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Location : Lend me the Power to bring about the World Restoration!!!

Anime General Thread: Winter 2015: The Big Freeze - Page 40 Empty Re: Anime General Thread: Winter 2015: The Big Freeze

Post by Jet Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:24 pm

Just found out crunchyroll has three saint seiya series on its service: saint seiya omega(which has mixed reception at best) saint seiya lost canvas(i havent heard much about it but its only 27 episodes) and the original adaption of saint seiya(though only the sanctuary arc 73 episodes which is disappointing)
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Anime General Thread: Winter 2015: The Big Freeze - Page 40 Empty Re: Anime General Thread: Winter 2015: The Big Freeze

Post by Jet Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:06 am

Finished the second season of Ashita no Joe. It wasn't as good as the first, not by a long shot. Notably, the synthesized music gave it an 80s vibe which worked about half the time. Mostly the emotion just wasnt there and Joe didnt evolve much past the brawler that he was since the beginning. In that way he was much like the original pegasus knight of saint seiya, always winning by a hair after getting his ass beat for a few episodes.

The other characters always took the backseat to Joe which made the story repetitive. Nowhere was this more apparent than with Tange, his coach, who should be asserting a workout routine or at least giving useful advice/tips during a fight. He was the perfect example of someone who Joe ran over or abused outright, even he wasnt immune to Joes outbursts. In more than one match he is cowed by his fighter into not even throwing in the towel in a losing fight, the one use he could have at least had. Its frustrating seeing Joe so stubborn with a lack of commitment to his craft, thus hindering the honing of his skills as a fighter. Ibuki Joe largely remained a strong hitting slugger, but a terrible boxer. As one might suspect this goes on to have devastating consequences nearing the climax. In fact I wonder how the series would be received had it released in modern times, given what we know now of concussions and dangers of repeated blows to the head. It is illustrated no better than in the final fight; when it goes the distance: for a now IBM banned 15 rounds.

Additionally, outside of his current opponent few really had any motivations. If they did, such as Tange they werent sufficiently explored. They were only realized through Joe having his face smashed red after refusing for 100+ episodes to refine his technique or footwork. Literally just running in there slugging does not make a strategic(no learning through his mistakes or studying video tape), let alone entertaining fight. Joes friends and supporters really should have had a life beyond Joe and it was rarely presented as such. They did everything for him, and it went largely unreciprocated. It was also a shame not seeing more fighters, specially those from the first season such as Aoyama. His role later on was extremely diminished, by the time of reprisal already too late go be of any significance. I felt when a diverse cast was at play, that was when the series was at its best. The 8 years for this sequel to arrive didnt do it justice in my opinion. But then again this was more than 30 years old so ill cut it some slack. My disappointment does largely stem from it failing to live up to its predecessor in my eyes. Maybe Joe Ibuki was a symbol for something japan was losing at the time of the 70s to early 80s. The supporting protagonist allude as much multiple times- that Joe never changed, never faltered, and never lost the fire of his youth that burned within him. The announcers themselves state flatly that his fighting spirit is a rarity among "japanese" boxers. Seeing as how the characters, including his enemies, serve to propel him forward as the embodiment of their collective hopes for the future it certainly supports that idea. The bittersweet ending all but painted him as such.. the last of a goneby era: Maybe even a
    Spoiler:

Now that I think about it...thats the personification im going with. It is also what makes it all the more tragic I guess. Not just because its highly likely that was the message the creators meant to get across, but also because the context of watching this in 1980s japan is different than in 2015 america. Where refusing to change might have been a valuable quality to be admired back then. In comparison with our present where change is what is demanded yet is weighed down by calls for regression. Perhaps the Jet of today wants to see Joe evolve to build past his strengths, but the Jet of yesterday would have preferred the Joe who held firm to his persona, whatever the repercussions. Or maybe im overthinking this last point. Whatever the case may be theres no doubt that this series laid the groundwork for future sports manganime and became an icon for many of that period.

That said watching this anime has furthered my fondness for its first incarnation and for boxing. I am hopeful Hajime no Ippo will add to that fuel and set forth a fire that reaches the heavens. Yes I said that.

Joe! What way is tomorrow?!
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:16 pm

http://www.ranker.com/list/best-anime-on-netflix-v1/ranker-anime?page=2

Whoaaaaa bro look at the list of anime netflix has. So much variety, I can already count series to add to PTW. Itll give my mind some comfort knowing even if YT takes them down I can watch em as a backup over netflix thanks to eri. There's also stuff I previously placed on hold like dgrayman and blood+

Ill probably get to finish the last few digimon frontier episodes I had left before digimon tri premieres...since they still wont even announce a date!
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Noragami is getting a second season.
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:10 pm

Watched a couple episodes its good stuff. Definitely unique. It had me from the getgo with the beautiful ajimation by bones and that fantastic OP. The ost so far isnt bad either
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 am

Now I'm starting to finish series. I finished Death Parade last week, I just finished Tokyo Ghoul Root, Durarara Shou is next.
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:38 am

Also, me and D are going to be watching Monogatari Second Season starting tonight, so I guess it'll be my rewatch
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Good stuff. Go ahead and start the next thread sai im gonna lock this one up.
    Sai
    Sai
    Anbu
    Anbu

Post by Sai Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:49 pm

I don't see why that's necessary but I suppose I'll do that.
    Jet
    Jet
    Hokage
    Hokage

Post by Jet Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:49 pm

I was gonna let you finish but starting new threads at page 50 is one of the best of all time!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:09 pm